14th Ward Youth Baseball Association sponsors and promotes youth baseball programs in the City of Pittsburgh’s East End neighborhoods. The parent-driven association strives to promote physical fitness, mental awareness and good citizenship through baseball. Programs are offered in the spring, summer and fall seasons for boys and girls ranging from 5 to 16 years of age. Games are played in several local neighborhoods including Regent Square, Squirrel Hill, and Highland Park.
When does the Spring season start and end?
The start date is weather dependent. Once teams are formed, coaches try to schedule some informal practices based on field availability. Exhibition games usually start the first week in April. League playoffs begin in June and the season ends as teams are eliminated.
Does my address or voting district need to be in the 14th Ward?
No. The league is open to all.
Where do you play baseball?
Most games and practices are at Frick 1 and Frick 2 which are located at the corner of Forbes and Braddock Ave. We also try and schedule Koenig Field in Edgewood and Farmhouse Field in Highland Park. Since Wightman Field is expected to be under repair this year, we might secure one or two fields in Mellon Park.
Is 14th Ward co-ed?
Absolutely. Although a large majority of our players are male, we have female players participating in all age groups.
Minor League – Saturdays and 6 PM Tuesdays
- Age 5-6 as of May 1st
- Developmental baseball, no focus on scores, outs, and runs.
- Basic skill building and enjoyment of the game.
- Each two-hour session is usually 30-40 minutes of practice with the rest of the time devoted to games where the score is not tracked. 45 foot bases.
Intermediate League – Saturdays plus one 6 PM weekday game
- Age 7-8 as of May 1st
- Competitive baseball, but coach-pitch.
- No walks, but players can strike out.
- Seven pitches to put the ball in play.
- Typically, the ball is put in play every 2-4 pitches, so fielders don’t get bored and get a LOT of chances.
- Young batters benefit from getting good pitches to hit every at bat.
- The game moves quickly, which is ideal for players in this age group. 60 foot bases.
Junior Little League – Saturdays plus one 6 PM weekday game
- Age 9-10 as of May 1st
- Regular, kid-pitch little league.
- A few small tweaks for this age group (e.g., 4 outfielders).
- 44 foot mound with 60 foot bases.
Little League – Saturdays plus one 6 PM weekday game
- Age 11-12 as of May 1st
- Standard little league.
- No leading and no pickoffs.
- Only three outfielders, and no restrictions on stealing bases.
- 46 foot mound with 60 foot bases.
Pony and Colt Leagues – Varies
- Age 13 and over as of May 1st
- Our Pony and Colt teams generally participate against teams from other area leagues around the City of Pittsburgh.
- The level of play is very competitive. In some ways these programs are similar to high school baseball – teams practice 3-4 times per week.
- All players who sign up make the team.
- Playing time will largely depend on a player’s individual abilities to help the team win.
Summer All-Star Teams – Varies
- All Ages
- Some players that participated in the Spring Season are chosen to represent the 14th Ward Baseball league on an All-Star team, at the end of the Spring Rec Season, in local area tournaments.
- Only players that participated in the Spring Season are eligible to participate on the All-Star team.
For more information on 14th Ward Baseball visit their website at:
Or email league president, Greg Allen at [email protected].